Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, April 1, 2012

FABERGÉ EGGS


Happy April. It feels so good to be back. I am sorry I wasn't able to post anything last week. My little one was very sick, so I had to prioritize and put the computer away. I literally haven't even touched my computer for about a week and a half. It is interesting how easily addictive and controlling technology can be! I am happy to report my son is doing much better and I am happy to be back online.

Today I have an amazing and spectacular treat for you. I am going to show you how to make your own Fabergé Eggs!!



For those of you not familiar with Fabergé, I will give you a little insight. They were originally commissioned by Russian Czar Alexander III for his wife Czarina Marie Fedorovna as an anniversary gift. The Czar placed an order with a young jeweler named Peter Carl Fabergé to create an exceptional gift for his wife. On Easter morning young Fabergé delivers what looks to be an ordinary enamel egg, but to the Czarina's delight, inside is a golden yolk; within the yolk is a golden hen; and concealed within the hen is a diamond miniature of the royal crown and a tiny ruby egg - both now lost to history!  The Czar was so pleased with the response from his Empress that he commissioned Peter Carl Fabergé to create a unique egg every Easter/Anniversary!

Here are some examples of early Fabergé eggs.


 I have been collecting eggs for years now. It all started with this one my mother gave me over 15 years ago. I found it to be so beautiful. It is from this egg that I began my research and love affair with Fabergé and since have began to collect beautifully crafted eggs. It is my dream to one day own an original Fabergé egg! A girl can always dream!


These next two eggs are made of Marble and Onyx! 


These eggs I bought as a collection when visiting Negotino, Macedonia. They are filled with beautiful bottles of french perfume! 


I bought this next one in Istanbul, Turkey. It has a picture of the Whirling Dervish on it!


I am so sad, but during my "photo shoot" process I dropped my egg that I bought at the Brocante in France. I was able to glue it back together but it has a big hole in the top! So So Sad!!


Now that you have seen my collection. Let me show you how you can make your own Fabergé eggs!

You will begin by poking a hole in the top and bottom of an egg! That's right, we are going to make these out of real eggs!

 Have two bowls ready. One to hold the inside of the eggs and one filled with warm soapy water. Blow the insides of the egg out into your bowl. If you find you are having a hard time. Try to carefully make your holes bigger. Once the eggs is completely empty (you can check this by giving it a shake) dip the empty egg shell in the warm soapy water to get the rest of the residue out. 


I then took a toilet paper roll and cut it in half to make cradles. Take your eggs and sit them in the cradles and allow them to dry completely!


Once your eggs are completely dry. Take a wooden skewer and wrap a rubber band around it. Slide your egg onto the pointy end of the skewer. The rubber band will keep it from sliding down. You can then stick the skewer into a foam block. This will help you to prep the egg.


Once you have completed this step. Coat each egg in a craft sealer, allow to dry. Then  paint the egg with the paint color of your choice and allow to dry before applying a second coat. I choose to paint my eggs in gold and silver to give them a more regal look.


When your eggs have dried completely you can now apply what ever type of embellishments you would like. I choose one large focal piece and coordinating beads. You can also use, paper, ribbon, fabric, glitter, or pictures, whatever your creative mind desires! I used a glue made by Scotch called Maximum Strength Adhesive. It worked great. I must worn you that the fumes are quite strong. I highly recommend wearing a mask. I applied small amounts of this glue with toothpicks onto my eggs and then applied my beads. I also found it easier to handle the eggs than to apply the embellishments on them while they were on the wooden skewers. This process can be quite long and tedious depending on how detailed you would like them to be. I think they are totally worth it. They are a beautiful piece of art to keep for yourself or to give to someone special for Easter or an Anniversary!





They make a perfect addition to my collection. I hope you have fun making them too!


Happy Easter!! 


THIS POST HAS BEEN LINKED TO:


 
Craftomaniac *  Skip to my Lou * Mad in Crafts * Keeping It Simple * Sumo's Sweet StuffBrassy Apple * C.R.A.F.T.DIY Showoff * Alderberry Hill * So Very Creative * Singing Three Little Birds *Ask Anna * Get Outta My Head Please *Polly Want a Crafter * DIY Home Sweet Home  *  An Original Belle * Destination: Craft * Toastie Studio * I should be mopping the floor * Nifty Thrifty Things * It's So Very Cheri Under The Table and Dreaming * The Girl Creative  * Sugarbee Crafts * My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaHome Stories A to Z  * Not Just a Housewife * Project Queen *A Diamond in the Stuff * Cherished Bliss * Blackberry Vine * Made In A Day * A Bowl Full of LemonsCreatively LivingNorthern Cottage * Blue Cricket Design * Lil Luna  * Restore Interiors  *  One Chatty Chic * Free Pretty Things For You My Girlish Whims * House of Hepworth * At The Picket FenceChic on a Shoestring * CraftionaryCreation Corner * Funky Junk Interiors Three Mango Seeds  * French Country CottageAdventures of a DIY Mom * Funky Junk Interiors * Its Overflowing

Tip Junkie handmade projectsDIY Club




THIS PROJECT WAS FEATURED AT:


UndertheTableandDreaming























10 comments:

Kathryn Pepper said...

Oh my goodness, these are so fancy! I love how professional they look! Thank you so much for linking them up to Cutesy Monday!

Kathryn
destinationcraft.blogspot.com

Liz said...

Hi Jen,

Thanks for visiting my blog! I really love your eggs, too! So beautiful and detailed! Especially the one in the birdcage is adorable! Very nice.

Liz

Isabelle Thornton said...

WOW you did a good job! it looks so professional!
I would love if you link this and French posts you have to my French Obsession party on Monday! My readers would love it!

XOXO
Isabelle

http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com/

Isabelle Thornton said...

Newest follower also on GFC. Come follow me back please :)
XOXO

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

These eggs are beautiful, I just love them, thank you for sharing!
XO
Kristin

Mandy said...

Thanks so much for sharing your Faberge' Eggs at Project Queen. I featured them at the Easter Highlight Party. Happy Easter!

Katie Goldsworthy said...

Another fantastic project!!! I LOVE these. Beautiful and so creative!

Thanks for linking it up!
--Kaite

Hani@Craftionary said...

Wow.. Love the superb eggs, so unique.. My mom has the one same as your Broncante From France. And I love that one.. I hate how something you love breaks, but it's nice atleast you could put it back together.. :) Thanks for linking up at friday fun party..

artclubblog.com said...

What a lovely egg collection. I also made some Fabergé inspired eggs to be used as Christmas tree ornaments. Love what you did!

Holly Lefevre said...

So pretty. My friend has a collection and I always admire them. What a great idea to make your own!